Salve frater! (That's Latin for 'sup bro, a seamless fusion of street and snob) Welcome to the readerharbor, readership. Put down your readersails, allow your readersailors to disembark down the readergangway and drunkenly rampage through the womenfolk, leaving in their wake a trail of bastard children unable to accept the fact they are the offspring of a tenuous over stretched pun. This is the blog of myself, Detective Veritable Galanthus, packed full of rants, metaphors, anecdotes and general misanthropy. Enjoy your stay.

Sunday 28 October 2012

Geek Day Out

I don't ordinarily do normal diary entries (though that is what a blog is commonly used for) because, by and large, my life is fairly monotonous and uneventful. Hence if I were to write a recording of my day every day, most of the posts would look like individually and collectively dull near identical copies of each other. However today I shall make an exception as I did partake in an event that broke the normal comforting flow of routine by venturing out of my regular territory to visit the Excel center.

 Of course this was no random whimsical trip to the docklands for a view of the shipping cranes and a paddle in the water but a very specific journey to visit a certain geeky event: The London MCM (Move Comic Media) Expo. A gathering that materializes for a mere three days, briefly flaring brightly as the central hub for manga, anime, science fiction, gaming and drama fans within the United Kingdom then disappearing for another few months.

 I was smartly dressed as Kaiki Deishu, a villainous fraudulent character from Nisemonogatari, complete with purple eyeliner (which, due to my general incompetence wit make up, my mother drewn on for me), pale make up (a plan B applied by my mother after I managed to make a horrendously blotched mess of plan A, face paint), red tie pin (made entirely by myself out of cardboard and red paper, my mother had no involvement whatsoever) and ominous dark coat.

 With me was Admiral Savage (A Satan worshiping mad scientist often seen dressed in dark shirt, black torn trousers and tar coloured boots which, speaking from experiencing, hurt when put violently into contact with your testicles. She is also capable of wielding a long sword as well as a fantasy and anime geek) dressed as Makise Kurisu from Steins;Gate, proudly wearing a red tie and lab coat, which fluttered nicely int he wind alongside her especially straightened hair.

 Our voyage to the Excel center was in its self not a simple matter. Due to my general lack of money (and only very recent notice of the fact I required a ten pound entrance fee as well as a travel cost) I had on me only the results of a quick expedition through my bedroom: overturning pots, looking under tables, checking behind wardrobes etc. These yields of my search were, while sufficient in total, composed largely of one and two pence coins with only a few fifty pence coins hidden within the chaotic mass. I had this cumbersome jingling treasure trove of pennies safely contained within an old dirty plastic pencil case, now turned wallet after a period of unemployment.

 However once we reached the station and I realized I needed to top up my oyster card for use of public transport, the situation grew further worse as I desperately dug through my pile of copper coloured circles to excavate the appropriate amount. In the end, since none of the automated machines were willing to receive the meager quantities of cash I was attempting to force feed it, we had to join a long queue to be serviced by a person. With that ordeal eventually overcome, we managed to board the train departing towards the much anticipated Expo.

 Once at the Excel center things ran smoothly and soon, after a brief few minutes in the entrance queue, which was far from boring due to the menagerie of wonderfully bizarre anime cosplayers around us, we managed to enter the main convention hall. There we soon met up with two other like minded individual, one of whom, called Rob (dressed as General Cross from D-Grey Man complete with cloak, red hair and gun) Admiral Savage had befriended over the anime geek's website and online social haven "Anime League". The other, Mike (Dressed as a skull shaped mask wearing character from the game "Army of Two") was a friend whom Rob had brought with him. With these two in tow we aimlessly moved through the maze like geeky market place, reminiscent of a bustling Egyptian bazaar, as a wandering unit.

 My personal highlight of the entire trip, if not this whole week, was a single cosplay (right) of Kyubei from "Madoka Magica" armed with a clipboard upon which is pinned a carefully written, deliberately worded, contract offering people the once in a lifetime chance to become magical girls.

 Not only is it slick, smart and generally dapper to look at, it is also an absolutely ingenious creative master piece when you take into account that the original character from the anime is a cute four legged fantastical animal.(below)
  While observing the strange objects, books and films on display and on sale as well as the even stranger people milling around us, the hours flew by. Soon it was ten minutes to the end of the expo and our little expedition group of four were on our final round of the main convention hall.
 As I walked a key chain of the witch "Charlotte", a very vital villain from "Madoka Magica" caught my eye. I ran closer to inspect the price. Due to the costs of traveling to the center as well as the ten pounds entrance fee and a minor purchase made earlier, I had sent most of my money and larger coins, leaving my battered plastic wallet filled with one, two and five pence coins amounting tot he grand total of two pounds ninety two at last count. The keyring cost three pounds. Ten minutes to closing time, it was the moment for my hidden haggling talent to come forward and shine.

 "Hello," I said to the two nice ladies womanning the store, "If I gave you the entire contents of this wallet," I began, lifting up my transparent pencil case packed with copper coins, "the total of which amounts to roughly two pounds ninety three pence, in exchange for that key chain" I paused, acutely feeling both the confused gaze of the two women and the disbelieving embarrassed stares of my companions behind me, "Would it be a satisfactory transaction?"

 "Umm" muttered one woman, staring blankly at my wallet, "Okay, sure."

 "In fact," I continued, the inner haggler within me finally awakening at possibly the wrong time, "I will also give you this wallet along with the money inside it."

 "You don't really get haggling do you? You're meant to lower the price, not raise it yourself." commented Mike from over my shoulder.

 "I've used it as a pencil case for the past few years," I charged on blindly, ignoring his comment, "It has great value... Sentimentally... to me. It's almost like a family heritage. So, deal?"

 "Umm" repeated the woman, her slightly dazed look sinking deeper into incomprehension, "Okay, sure. You can be our last customer."

 "Thank you," I announced cheerful while silently commending my inner haggler and handing over the wallet with the money.

 The second woman took the wallet, observing its graphite stained, bruised, partially indented, surface as if observing some strange newly discovered life form. Then after a moments pause she commented smiling, "Ah... Thank you, I'll keep this as a memento of this years expo."

 Uttering a further polite word of gratitude, I turned and departed. the weight of the keyring siting comfortably in my pocket, leaving the two shop attendants to chatter with each other and the rest of the four person expedition team to follow. As I marched, my head ringing with triumphant metaphorical mental trumpets announcing my victory, each footstep like a winning army's drum beat, it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't left any money for the train journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment